Friday, July 23, 2004

Speak Freely through the Net and Hurrah for OS

You heard right-one can make free phone calls through the Internet.

www.speakfreely.org

 
Speak Freely is a 100% free Internet telephone originally written in 1991 by John Walker, founder of Autodesk.  After April of 1996, he discontinued development on the program.  Since then, several other Internet "telephones" have cropped up all over the world.  However, most of these programs cost money.  Most of them have poor sound quality, and don't support some of Speak Freely's basic features such as encryption, the answering machine, or selectable compression. 
  Out of fustration in the shortcomings of the other programs, and even Speak Freely, I decided to implement what I thought were needed features myself, starting in August of 1997.  I contacted John Walker, and he agreed to let me officially take over the project.  In the spirit of Open Source SoftwareTM, I am licensing this program under the GNU General Public License.

Long live the internet!Long live blogging

No comments: